Sunday, July 28, 2013

MLB Baseball's "OTHER" problem****

Actually the NBA also in a way has this problem.  The problem that they play way too many games.  Particularly in baseball that they play 7 consecutive nights sometimes; is a problem. I believe that the game is too accessible to the average fan.  Hence, the true demand for baseball drops.  Why buy a ticket today when I can go...tomorrow.  Not only that; from May to about October its like this.  If you can't see your team all the time then maybe people will pay more for their tickets. 

The teams that are average or, below average tend to also be affected more by too much accessibility.  The idea for this specific blog came from me looking into buying Detroit Tigers tickets.  Supposedly, the Tigers have one of the best pitching staffs in all of baseball.  Scherzer, Verlander, and, Sanchez and I can get a ticket for $7.00 (granted in the upper deck).  This is crazy to me.  Now as a fan; I'm happy the tickets are $7 but, my first thought was....I'll wait.  If in two weeks they still have 40 tickets in the section I want; I'll buy them then.  If they played less games this ticket is $14.50 and still gets sold.  It makes me wonder what management of these pro-MLB teams really think of the product on the field.  Even if they really and, truly back it hard; demand for these games must be crazily affected by the enormously large number of games played. 

My idea for the MLB to counteract this problem is this.  Play half as many games from start of season to the third week of June.  Play the same of number of games (as currently played) from the 3rd week of June to the first week of August.  All of August play at most 4 games a week.  Then play September as currently set up. So as to create a push to the playoffs.  Or, expand playoff structure so 2 more teams make the playoffs in each bracket.  This playoff expansion can cut the regular season off at Sept. 20th and, then hype the playoffs. Make even more $ in the playoffs due to jersey sales and, increased ticket prices etc. With 2 more teams making the playoffs in AL & NL the quality of play will not be a detriment.  And, since they played less games (in Aug) will hopefully be healthier for a great showdown to finish the season with excitement and, higher ticket prices for owners. 

Paul E. Spors
7-28-2013     

No comments:

Post a Comment